This is the perfect one pan dish for a quick family meal in under 10 minutes. Each element can be added as individual tastes require. I also love any excuse to eat with my hands and this is the perfect dish for that, although it can get a little messy.
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
6 spring onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
500g organic pork mince
2 tbsp tamari
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp sesame seeds
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 iceberg lettuce
½ ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the sesame oil in a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped spring onions, garlic and ginger and sauté for 2-3 minutes until a little softened.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the pork mince.
- Break the pork mince up with a wooden spoon while mixing in the other ingredients already in the pan, stirring all the time to make sure the meat does not stick to the bottom.
- Once all the raw meat has changed colour, add the tamari, lime juice, sesame seeds and chilli flakes. Keep stirring all the time to mix the ingredients well and continue to break up any clumps that may remain.
- Continue to cook the pork over a high heat until most of the liquid has reduced and the pork is cooked through. Turn the heat off and put a lid on the pan.
- Leave the pork to sit for a few minutes while you prepare the other elements of the dish.
- Cut the root from the lettuce and peel off the leaves layer by layer. Wash the leaves and pat gently dry.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with the pork mince and top with a slice of avocado and serve.
- Offer some extra spring onions, lime wedges, sesame seeds, chilli flakes and the chopped coriander as optional condiments.