Bread and Butter Pudding:
25g coconut oil
8 slices wholemeal/wholegrain bread
2 tsp cinnamon
350ml almond milk, homemade
50ml oat or soy cream
2 free range eggs
25g coconut palm sugar
nutmeg, to taste
Vanilla Cashew Ice Cream:
225g raw cashews, soaked overnight in water
450ml almond milk, homemade
60ml maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla powder
2 pinches sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200C (180 fan).
2. Grease a 1 litre baking dish with coconut oil.
3. Cut the crusts off the bread and spread each slice with the reminder of the coconut oil. Cut into quarters. Layer the bread with the sultanas and cinnamon, oil side up, finishing with a layer of bread.
4. In a saucepan, heat the almond milk gently over a low heat but do not allow it to come to a boil.
5. While that is warming through, mix the eggs with the sugar and whisk until a pale colour.
6. When the milk is near boiling, add to the egg mixture and stir thoroughly. Strain the mixture through a sieve over the bread and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.
7. Grate fresh nutmeg over the top and bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes until the egg mixture has set and the top is a golden colour.
8. Meanwhile discard the water from the soaking cashews and place them in a high powered blender.
9. Add the almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla powder and sea salt and blend high until completely smooth. This may take between 3 to 5 minutes.
10. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process for around 30 minutes. It can be served immediately or transferred into a container and stored in the freezer.