Happy Pancake Day!
I am celebrating with some gluten free pancakes topped with berries and strawberry sauce. These are the lightest, fluffiest pancakes and simple and healthy too.
140g buckwheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
170ml milk of choice (I used almond milk)
15g coconut palm sugar
1. Firstly blend the coconut palm sugar until it resembles a fine powder. Set aside.
2. Measure out half of the strawberries and blend until they become a smooth liquid. Set aside.
3. Separate the egg whites and yolks into two separate bowls.
4. Place the flour, milk and baking powder in the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
5. Whisk the egg whites in the other bowl until they hold a soft peak.
6. Fold the fluffy whites into the pancake mixture with a large metal spoon, taking care not to flatten the air bubbles too much.
7. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and spoon a small amount of the mixture into the pan. Cook for around 2 minutes or until the pancake turns golden brown underneath.
8. Flip the pancake with a plastic spatula and cook the other side until it looks the same. Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
9. Stack the pancakes on a plate, top with the remaining strawberries and blueberries and pour over the strawberry coulis. Dust with the powdered coconut palm sugar, serve and enjoy!.