Nothing beats a Caesar Salad for a light lunch, but for those of us who cannot tolerate egg or cheese, it has never been an option. This recipe offers an alternative that is light and creamy with a hint of cheese. Topped with crispy celeriac croutons for some crunch and its even gluten free too!
For the croutons:
200g celeriac, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce:
75g sunflower seeds, soaked in water for 2 hours
1 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ clove garlic
25ml cold pressed rapeseed oil
100ml filtered water
salt and black pepper
For the salad:
4 baby gem lettuce
2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
4 tbsp Ceasar dressing
fresh anchovies to garnish
celeriac croutons to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Toss the celeriac cubes in the olive oil and salt and place on a piece of greaseproof paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the sunflower seeds and place into a high powered blender.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Wash, dry and break up the baby gem lettuce into a large bowl.
- Add the capers and salad dressing.
- Toss well until the leaves are well coated.
- Divide amongst 4 plates or bowls and garnish with some fresh anchovies, celeriac croutons and sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Notes: Top with prawns or a grilled chicken breast for extra protein and a more satisfying meal.
Allergies: Sunflower seeds