You know those days when you just feel rotten, really rotten…full of cold, aches and pains and you have no energy and no appetite…that was me yesterday! That’s when you need a loved one to make you this lovely, warming, nurturing bowl of soup. It’s a perfect immune boosting combination of ginger and garlic, hydrating, full of flavour and easy to make.
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
6cm piece of ginger, peeled and julienned
6 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
6 chestnut or shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
4 tbsp sweet white miso
900ml water or chicken stock
60g dried brown rice noodles
4 leaves cavolo nero, stalks removed and roughly chopped
juice of 2 limes
2 tsp liquid amigos or tamari
1 tsp ume plum seasoning
2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spring onions and mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the miso paste and sauté for a further 2 minutes. If it sticks to the pan, add a drop of water.
- Add the water to the pan, turn up the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the noodles and simmer over a low heat for 5-6 minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
- Add the cavolo nero one minute before the end of the cooking time and stir through until it has softened.
- Turn off the heat and add the lime juice, liquid aminos and ume plum seasoning.
- Divide between two bowls, sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve immediately.