We can often over do it on grains during the festive season and sometimes need a lower carb option. These paleo mince pies will help you into the festive season without the bloat. If you can’t eat egg but can handle grains, please type Gluten Free and Vegan Mince Pie recipe in the search bar for an alternative recipe.
Makes 14 mini mince pies
For the pastry:
190g ground almonds
25g coconut palm sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large egg
pinch of salt
For the filling:
½ apple, grated with the skin on
25g coconut oil
45g coconut palm sugar
zest and juice of ½ orange
zest of ½ lemon
4 tsp mixed spice
optional: 2 tsp brandy
Equipment: Food processor, mini muffin tin, 6cm and 4cm round cookie cutters
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- To make the pastry, place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until a dough begins to come together.
- Gather the pastry into a ball, roll in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, put the grated apple in a medium sized saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Heat through over a medium heat until all the ingredients come to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat and continue to simmer for 10 minutes with no lid to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- Place the lid on the pan and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside until needed.
- Once the pastry has cooled, roll it out on a floured work surface and use the 6cm and 4cm round cutters to make 40 circles, 20 of each. You can roll the pastry between two sheets of cling film instead if you find it easier.
- Grease the mini muffin pan with a little coconut oil and line each one with one of the bigger pastry circles.
- Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork and bake for about 6-8 minutes making sure the edges do not burn.
- Fill each case with a teaspoon of the filling and then top with the 4cm pastry circles.
- Bake for a further 8 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
Source: Original recipe by Kelly Little
Allergy Advice: Egg, nuts (almonds)