I was looking to create a muffin base that was egg, dairy and gluten free and that could be easily adjusted to suit several tastes whether it be for the fruit lover or the chocaholic.
3 ‘chia’ eggs (3 tbsp ground chia mixed with 9 tbsp water) or 2 fresh eggs if not vegan
125g brown rice flour
100g almond flour
1 tsp vanilla powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of sea salt
175ml almond milk
75g brown rice syrup
25g coconut oil, melted
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
75g 70% dark chocolate chips
15ml almond milk
75g fresh blueberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (180 fan) and line a muffin tin with 6-8 cases.
2. Prepare the chia egg and set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Weigh out all the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients and the chia egg (extra 15ml milk for chocolate muffins).
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry and combine well but do not over mix. Fold in the blueberries/lemon juice or chocolate chips.
6. Fill each muffin case ¾ full and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
These can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen.