These light and airy muffins are perfect for those rushed mornings when you need to grab and go and kids love them too so they’re perfect for all the family. They are gluten, egg, dairy and refined sugar free and have a subtle but delicious hint of citrus and a poppyseed crunch.
200g gluten free flour mix, I use Free From Fairy
85g Palmyra sugar or Coconut Palm Sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp poppyseeds
pinch of salt
65g coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 2 small lemons
40ml fresh lemon juice
225ml coconut yoghurt
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, poppy seeds and salt.
- In a large bowl mix together coconut oil, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice, yogurt and apple cider vinegar.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well combined but acting quickly as the bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice/apple cider vinegar will start to react and form air bubbles. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Fill the muffin tins about ¾ full with the batter and sprinkle with a few extra poppy seeds.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve immediately or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days.
Source: Original recipe by Kelly Little
Allergy Advice: Contains poppyseeds