Root Vegetable Bake
Root Vegetable Bake
Eating with the seasons will give you the freshest, healthiest and best tasting food available, while being friendly to your pocket too. Root vegetables are at their best right now and this comforting bake will keep you satisfied and warm as the cold wintery weather sets in while show casing root vegetables at their prime.
- 50 g mild coconut oil
- 50 g brown rice flour
- 500 ml almond milk
- 1 small swede approx. 325g
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes (approx. 325g)
- 2-3 parsnips approx. 350g
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Peel the swede, sweet potatoes and parsnips. Chop approximately 3 cm off the thin end of the parsnips and set aside for later.
- Cut the swede into quarters and then slice each quarter into even slices, about ½ cm thick.
- Slice the sweet potatoes and parsnips into similar thickness slices.
- Layer the vegetables into the baking dish and set aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat and add the brown rice flour, stirring all the time. Cook through for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the almond milk, stirring constantly, ensuring that no lumps form. Continue until all the almond milk has been added.
- Bring to a simmer over a low heat, still stirring, and cook for a further 15 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and thyme leaves and stir to combine well.
- Taste and season as necessary with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the layered root vegetables.
- Grate the remaining parsnip ends and sprinkle over the dish and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft when tested with a small knife.
- Remove the foil cover and bake for a further 10 minutes to brown the top before serving.
- Notes: This dish can be served as a main meal for 2 with a side of salad or green vegetables; but also makes a delicious accompaniment with a roast dinner.
Allergy Advice: Almonds (nuts), mustard